Ahascragh Leave Mágh Cuilinn Still a Win Short of Semi-Final Spot

Post date: Apr 25, 2014 7:28:37 PM

U14B Championship – 2014

Round 6 – 21/04/2014

Moycullen 2:04 – Ahascragh Fohenagh 4:06

Sitting comfortably in 2nd place on the table Moycullen had to travel to Ahascragh on the Bank Holiday Monday with many of the panel players unavailable through injury, holidays or other commitments.

The opposition had beaten table toppers Gort on Good Friday so the Moycullen lads knew they were in for a test. Without the regular No.3, No.7, No.11 & No.12 Moycullen needed to juggle players into positions and the first half tactics proved successful. Inside the first minute Moycullen were awarded a 20m free after great work by Sean O’Seoige. Cian Folan made his welcome return by blasting the free to the net. Ahascragh Fohenagh responded with a point a minute later. On the 4th minute Moycullen worked a great attack only to be penalised and the home team were awarded a free out. On the sixth minute Sean O’Seoige controlled position on the 20m and blasted the sliotar but the goalkeeper deflected over the crossbar. On the 7th minute Niall Fitzgerald collected on the 40m and carried the ball deep into the home defence and forced a 65m but the resulting placed ball didn’t materialise a score. On the 9th min the home team scored another point to keep themselves in the game. On the 11th minute Alan Carr was unfortunate to miss a 30m free but the home team made no mistake of their 15th minute free by securing another point. Just before half time Folan stood over a 20m free and fired over for another point. On the 24th min the Moycullen sideline had to remind the referee that the games are 20minutes per half, the ref was surprised!

At half time Moycullen were ahead by 1:02 – 0:04. Defensively the Connemara lads looked composed. Cillian Clancy’s long puck-outs were an instant threat on the home team. Glen Pagett, Shane Kyne and Jack Osborne were containing the full forward line while outside the combination of Jamie Cox, Tom O’Connor and Aaron Barrett held their own from an aggressive half forward line. As ever Evan Kenny was a handful for any opposition whilst Carr was working hard to support and attack. The half forward line of Cillian Davoren, O’Seoige and Jack Brennan pressed hard right through while inside the roaming Owen Hester, Cian Folan & Niall Fitzgerald were working to the plan. Unfortunately O’Seoige had to retire at the interval through a hand injury and Colm Cunningham was introduced.

With the aid of a breeze in the second half Moycullen had to face into a blinding sun. The instructions at half time was defend the lead, unfortunately that was short lived. Within 80seconds of the restart Moycullen conceded 2 gaols from play. A free for the home team followed shortly for the home side and they increased their lead by another point. Moycullen struggled to create attacks and couldn’t convert frees within scoring range. Half way through the 2nd half Moycullen were awarded a 20m free but this time Folan’s shot was blocked and cleared. 2 minutes later the Home team increased their lead with another goal. Carr responded well with a point from play followed by a long range free from O’Connor adding to the Moycullen score. The home team responded a minute later with a point. The game was drifting from Moycullen but 4mins from the end then Cunningham collected on the 40m close to the sideline, took on opposition and drew defence to deliver a pin point pass to Folan who deflected to the net. With a glimmer of revival Moycullen tried for another score but Ahascragh Fohenagh had other plans and responded with their 4th Goal.

Moycullen can be proud of their work but in many situations they were pushed aside too easily. Moycullen were best served by Barrett, O’Connor, Kenny, O’Seoige, Folan & Cunningham.

With one more game left to play in the Group, Moycullen need to beat Carnmore to guarantee a semi-final spot in the Championship.

On Friday 25th April the Feile na nGael/Justin Cheevers Cup commences with a home match vs Mullagh at 6:30pm. Let’s hope for a good tournament!