U16s record back to back wins

Post date: Jul 25, 2012 2:00:25 PM

Maigh Cuilinn 6-7 Ballinasloe 0-3

On another extremely wet Monday evening with anxiety building throughout the day as to the availability of a pitch in Moycullen the match against Ballinasloe was finally cleared to go ahead on the training pitch - just. Moycullen had already a win under their belt against Mullagh (Maigh Cuilinn 2-7 Mullagh 1-8) so their first back-to-back win against a well fancied Ballinasloe outfit had to be achieved to stay in the U16 Championship Competition having had an early setback in losing their opening match to Cusacks (Beagh/Kilbecanty combined). Moycullen opened brightly with the backs once again solid in every exchange especially along the full back line of Paul Wynne, Shane Richardson and John Lalor. At wing back Cian Connell could not be overlooked in giving a fine display throughout the game often winning ball through a forest of players, then clearing his line to great effect. The early supply of ball to forwards had Ballinasloe on the back foot as Lairgnen Mc Dermott split the posts with an opening point after a dogged tussle with Mark Headd of Ballinasloe. Seconds later Mc Dermott was again involved but this time his progress to goal was impeded - illegally. Anraoi Whyte made the journey from centre back and made no mistake in blasting the ball to the back of the net from the 21 metre line for Moycullen. Mc Dermott then added a goal and a point but strangely after this Moycullen appeared to lose their way as Ballinasloe took control to finish the half with 2 points. Fortunately Moycullen’s Ronan Higgins eased rising concern with a long range point from play.

The second half was a great display of passion and pride as Moycullen put the game beyond contention with every puck of the sliotar. Leading the charge at midfield Colm Kilduff and Higgins swept from side to side with every puck out from Ballinasloe goalkeeper Anthony Curley. Every puck out appeared to land in a Moycullen hand, be it Ryan Fox at right wing forward or Aodhan Claffey who played a stormer at right half-back. Scores came fast and furious with Caleb Mc Guinness at centre forward relishing the opportunity to take on Ballinasloe’s Noel Cotton at every opportunity and it proved only a matter of time before he continued his goal scoring form with another trademark cracker, and the first score of the second half. Higgins followed this immediately with a sweetly struck long-distance free from the right side line. This seemed to ignite Moycullen, none more so than Carl Mc Donagh who worked tirelessly at right corner forward to end the match with 0-2. Anthony Faherty then deftly diverted a Higgins strike to deceive the Ballinasloe goalkeeper. Mc Dermott then slid in to divert a rebound form Curley, the Ballinasloe keeper to extend Moycullen’s lead before Fox got on the scoreboard with a point from play. Moycullen’s Evan Hurney had a fine game at left corner forward, and was replaced by Dylan Curran who announced his arrival by winning his tussle with Ryan Hynes of Ballinasloe before hitting the net from an acute angle. Ballinasloe’s only response came through Cotton who took his point well so a quiet day in goal for Moycullen‘s Micheal Bohan. The game finished Maigh Cuilinn 6-7 Ballinasloe 0-3. This sets up Moycullen with a closing group game hoping a win at home against Athenry will allow them top their group.

Maigh Cuilinn - Micheal Bohan, Paul Wynne, Shane Richardson, John Lalor, Aodhan Claffey, Anraoi White (1-0), Cian Connell, Colm Kilduff, Ronan Higgins (0-2), Ryan Fox (0-1), Caleb Mc Guinness (1-0), Lairgnen Mc Dermott (2-2), Evan Hurney, Anthony Faherty (1-0), Carl Mc Donagh (0-2). Subs: Dylan Curran (1-0) for Hurney, Mikey Mc Donagh for Mc Dermott, Thomas Payton for Faherty.