Maigh Cuilinn contrive to lose

Post date: Apr 6, 2012 9:16:52 PM

Maigh Cuilinn 2-05 Kiltormer 2-09

It was hard to believe at halftime CIMC were trailing 1-3 to 0-2. Apart from a few minutes just before halftime, they had laid siege to the Kiltormer goal for most of the half. In the very first minute, Niall Acton blocked the goalkeeepers attempted clearance and the ball trickled toward the goal line but was cleared and the end result was a point at the other end to Kiltormer. In the following 20 minutes, David Jackson and Ian Noone twice found the goalkeeper equal to the shot while also clocking up a half dozen wides from play and placed balls. Seamus Conneely opened the account with a long range effort. Luke Bohan finally did put CIMC in front for the first and only time after a neat interchange of passes with David Jackson but the equaliser came almost immediately. As the half drew to a close, Kiltormer went in front inexpicably with a free from an acute angle. They then seemed certain to add a major but some scrambled defending and two great saves from Eanna Kelleghan kept it out however minutes later a Kitormer corner forward took a chance on a breaking ball and finished in to the net.The half ended as Ian Noone's second goal chance was saved and CIMC were shellshocked to find themselves 4 points down.

At the start of the second half, CIMC exerted the early pressure but when Seamus Conneely's surging run brought the best out of the Kiltormer keeper, but the resultant clearance moved downfield quickly and resulted in a Kiltormer goal. Despite several CIMC attacks the next score also fell to Kiltormer to stretch their lead to eight points. Eanna Malone came forward to take over free taking duties after continued failure to convert placed balls and finally opened the second half scoring. However Kiltormer replied immediately to restore the eight point margin. When the misfortunate Seamus Conneely struck the post after another fine run, it looked like a long evening. Seamus Conneely was fouled again and when the free was brought forward to the 20m line for dissent, World champion handballer Martin Mulkerins just introduced as a substitute took on the shot and buried in the net. Kiltormer responded well and scored two fine points in reply. Mulkerins now on freetaking duties produced two more points as Kiltormer began to foul repeatly and collect yellow cards. Each free was answered by a Kiltormer point until Mulkerins struck another close in free to the net. CIMC were unable to reduce the 4 point margin further despite much pressure and the final whistle sounded as yet another shot on goal from a Mulkerins free was blocked.

In the Kiltormer progressed because they were able to take their chances from play and placed balls and CIMC were not. While disappointing, the campaign featured a good size panel of players and it is hoped that they will feature well at Minor, Junior and Senior during the rest of the year.

Mágh Cuilinn: Eanna Kelleghan, Alan Kelly, Raymond Walsh, Patrick Walsh, Ger Molloy, Eanna Malone, Emmett Kerrigan, Kevin O'Donovan, Seamus Conneely, Luke Bohan, Conor Kyne, Brian Bohan, David Jackson, Niall Acton, Ian Noone.

Subs: Martin Mulkerins for Brian Bohan, Jack Kelly for David Jackson

Subs Not Used: Andrew Hurney, Kurtis Kyne, James Donohoe, John Doran, James Wynne, Colin Keeler, Cillian Mullarkey;