U16's bounce back from Cusack's defeat

Post date: Jul 17, 2012 2:16:29 PM

Maigh Cuilinn 2-7 Mullagh 1-8

On a wet Monday evening Moycullen made the journey to Mullagh intent on advancing in the U16 Championship despite an early setback in losing their opening match to Cusacks (Beagh/Kilbecanty combined). The match opened and players quickly adapted to the poor pitch conditions to produce a fast full blooded encounter with a display of exceptional hurling skills. Moycullen were first on the board when Ryan Fox tapped over a ball after a foul on Ciaran Barber at corner forward. This was quickly followed by a signature goal from Carl Mc Donagh who was the first to react to a rebound off Eoin Dolphin the Mullagh goalkeeper. Moycullen were now piling on the pressure but to little effect with wasteful shooting though it must be said conditions underfoot were getting worse. Mullagh hit back in one of the few attacks mounted when a mix up in front of Moycullen’s goal allowed Francis Kelly score for Mullagh. The full back line for Moycullen of Paul Wynne, Shane Richardson and John Lalor shut up shop after this leaving only long range shots for goalkeeper Michael Bohan to deal with comfortably. Moycullen again picked up the tempo with points from play from Ryan Fox and Lairgnen Mc Dermott to close the first half ahead Maigh Cuilinn 1-3 Mullagh 1-1.

The second half was a tense affair despite Moycullen’s Mc Donagh striking for his second goal at the re-start. A five point lead was always under threat as Mullagh kept plugging away and though Kelly was not let near goals he still managed to slot over frees that narrowed the gap as the game progressed. In a smart move from midfield Ronan Higgins hand passed a ball to Fox to slot neatly over the bar. Robbie Kenny went one better in winning his own ball at centre forward before turning smartly for his point. Mc Dermott and Fox added more points from play before Mullagh hit Moycullen with a series of points. Anraoi Whyte at centre back stopped the rot and assumed control of affairs with non stop sweeping, catching and striking of the highest order. With minutes ticking away Caleb Mc Guinness landed the last point after receiving a pass from the industrious Aodhan Claffey. In one last assault Mullagh drove down field but were stopped by Colm Kilduff who smartly won and carried the ball into the corner using his speed to great effect. The whistle sounded to the great relief of players and coaches with a lively discussion on the bus home though a call for Supermacs went un-answered.