Mágh Cuilinn Seek Second Ever County U14 Championship Title

Post date: May 16, 2014 10:01:33 AM

U14B Championship – 2014

County Championship Semi Final – 15/05/2014

Moycullen 2:07 – Tommy Larkin’s 0:05

After recent inclement weather the sun came out to shine on Craughwell on semi final day where Moycullen faced Tommy Larkin’s in the County ‘B’ Semi final which was preceded by the ‘A1’ semi final contested by Tynagh Abbey Duniry vs. Ardrahan.

Moycullen and Tommy Larkin’s were no strangers to each other, only 3 weeks earlier the two sides met in the Feile Na nGael semi final at the same venue where Larkin’s pipped Moycullen by 1 point in extra time of a trilling contest. A late withdrawal of Robert Previte through illness and Shain Sutton still on the mend from injury had reduced the Moycullen panel but the bench was strong and all players were anxious to make a claim on the starting line out.

In almost perfect conditions Moycullen played with their backs to the Town end. Within 1min of the throw in Niall Fitzgerald delivered a pin point cross field pass to Cillian Davoren to score the games first point of the day. A minute later Tommy Larkin’s centre forward collected on the 50m turned, carried and slotted over the bar. A minute later Larkin’s scored their second point and Moycullen reshuffled their defence. On 4min a long delivery fell to the feet of Cian Folan who was under a lot of pressure form the Larkin’s full back, Folan controlled well, pivoted swiftly and carried the sliotar to within 10m from the Larkin’s goal and struck to the roof of the net. On 5min Fitzgerald added a wonderful point from the right to put the Connemara lads up by 3 points. On 10min Fionn McDonagh found his range with a fine point from 35m. 3min later Sean O’Seoige again threatened to penetrate the Larkin’s defence but was taken down illegally and won a free and Alan Carr popped over the bar to add to the Moycullen tally. In fact Moycullen could have been awarded numerous other frees with Larkin’s defence dishing out a lot of high challenges but the referee was not interested. At this stage Moycullen had settled into their rhythm with Evan Kenny dominating and anchoring at No.6 and Carr and Tom O’Connor hurling well in the centre. Larkin’s were still pressing hard on the Moycullen defence and on 15min they found possession inside the large parallelogram were the Moycullen last line fouled and the opposition were awarded a penalty. The Larkin’s full forward riffled the resulting penalty but Clancy was up to the task and saved brilliantly. Larkin’s kept pressing and scored the final 2 points of the half on 19min and 20min to leave the half time score at Moycullen 1:04 vs. Tommy Larkin’s 0:04.

Moycullen deservedly on top at the half realised the Larkin’s dominance on the last 5min of the first period and needed to start well in the second to maintain the lead, and so they did. On 21min some smart hurling down the right wing ended with an outward pass from Davoren to O’Connor who struck firm to find his shot loop under the crossbar to raise the green flag. On 23min Larkin’s were on the prowl for a goal and watched a close range shot rebound off the Moycullen goal post. Aaron Barrett was on hand to tidy up and find Fitzgerald with a smart pass. 4min later Fitzgerald found himself within scoring distance and calmly nailed the sliotar between the posts for a point. At this stage the Moycullen defence were enjoying complete dominance with the ferocity of Keith Carter at No.3, the ever sharp Jamie Cox on the wing, Glen Pagett solid in the corner while Shane Kyne settling in well on the other wing. In attack Moycullen did not hold back either, every opportunity and every avenue was exhausted to keep the scoreboard ticking. Oran McLaughlin used his strength and power to upset the Larkin’s No.6 through the contest. On 29min Larkin’s now desperate for a goal were awarded a free 30m from the Moycullen but took the point as it was their first score of the second period. On 30min Carr pointed well from a free to put Moycullen 7points clear. Moycullen introduced Colm Cunningham who immediately created havoc in the Larkin’s half. Owen Hester was later brought into wing forward as Moycullen pressed on. With just 2min remaining, Carr again stepped up to a free and struck sweetly between the posts. The highlight of the match was the performance of Niall Fitzgerald who covered almost every blade of grass and created most of the attacks. Niall can be very grateful to Dean Greally for the loan of his boots!!

With the final whistle the Moycullen sideline invaded the pitch with hysteria as the Club qualified for the U14 County Final. The final score of 2:07 to 0:05 was a fair reflection of Moycullen's performance. It wouldn’t be considered as their best performance but it was certainly very solid and the Players, Management and Supporters now look forward to playing Gort in the County Final (Time, Date & Venue TBC)

Mágh Cuilinn: Cillian Clancy, Glen Pagett, Keith Carter, Aaron Barrett, Jamie Cox, Tom O’Connor, Andrew Power, Alan Carr, Evan Kenny, Cillian Davoren, Oran McLaughlin, Fionn McDonagh, Niall Fitzgerald, Cian Folan, Sean O’Seoige,

Shane Kyne for Andrew Power, Colm Cunningham for Cillian Davoren, Owen Hester for Sean Seoige Jack Osborne, Jack Brennan, Shain Sutton, Dean Greally, Cathal Boyce, Sofian Elhemer, Ethan O'Brien, Jack O'Toole & Danny McDonagh.

Robert Previte missed out through illness but will be back looking for a place in the final