Mágh Cuilinn turn tables on Cois Fharraige

Post date: Oct 7, 2013 7:10:27 PM

Maigh Cuilinn 2-17 Cois Fharraige 1-12

Just when we need a pick-me up pops the Minor Hurlers in Pearse Stadium on Saturday to blow away the cobwebs. A game both teams were forced to play on foot of an Abbeyknockmoy walkover. Mágh Cuilinn had suffered a heavy defeat in the corresponding Group game in Furbo so they had no illusions about the task ahead.

With Carnmore and Rahoon/Salthill battling it out over extra time to see who progressed to the last eight Moycullen were forced to wait on the sidelines for an extra half an hour. When they got out on the field captain Kevin O' Donovan opted to play with the wind in pleasant sunshine. Cois Fharraige moved Maidhc O'Conghaile at the start so Moycullen were able to move Anraoi Whyte back to parter O'Donovan in the middle. Although Cois Fharraige had the first attack and wide, it was Caleb McGuinness who pointed first from the right wing after a one-two with Kevin O'Donovan. His U16 colleague, Annraoi Whyte battled for space to find a second and it was McGuinness who picked out Eanna Kelleghan who sidestepped his man and finished accurately from the left. Cois Fharraige were able to respond from a free but a goal from O'Donovan after a surging run from midfield and an arrow of a shot worthy of Robin Hood finding the top of the net from a seemingly impossible angle on the end line. Cois Fharraige did respond with a couple of scores but when Jack Kelly's free dropped just under the crossbar, Magh Cuilinn appeared to have twice to have scrambled it over the line but the umpires disagreed and the ball was thrown in on the 20m line. Magh Cuilinn were awarded a free immediately and Jack Kelly resisted the temptation to go for goal and calmly slotted the point. Just to emphasize his domonance at centre back, Ronan Higgins first took the ball at centre back over 6' 4'' Cathal Folan before carrying Cois Fharraige on his back to midfield to launch a rocket over the bar. Thankfully no one was hit when the sliotar landed in Eyre Square. Mágh Cuilinn had several half chances for goals as the half progressed but a Lairgnean McDermott effort from play and another pointed free from Jack Kelly were the only further scores. As the half progressed Cois Fharraige began to gain the advantage in midfield but stout defence from John Lalor in particular meant one point was their only return until a defensive mistake allowed a diving full forward to clip the ball beyond an advancing Micheál Bohan in goal. A further point to follow up meant that for all their early dominanceand as the whistle was blown by referee Fergal Bermingham two points separated the sides; 1-7 to 1-05. Facing the wind for the second half, Mágh Cuilinn did not appear to have made the most of their advantage.

The second half openend nervously as Cois Fharraige scored to leave just a point between the teams. Caleb McGuinness and Kevin O'Donovan produced points to stretch the lead out to three. Although it was now five oclock in the evening the next few minutes was definitely Noonetime as Conor Noone woke from the torpor that dogged his first half and stole the show with first a well taken point from a Cillian Mullarkey interception and pass down the right and then a trademark goal collecting a low Anraoi Whyte sideline and heading for a crowded goal with only one target in mind. Another point followed soon after to complete a burst of scoring that really put Mágh Cuilinn in the driving seat. Cois Fharraige did rally but although they tacked on points each score was responded to with Lairgnean McDermott twice and Conor Noone again scoring from play. Ryan Fox at at least the third attempt, finally succeeded in being fouled close enough to goal for Jack Kelly to punished the offence. Jack rounded off the scoring with two well taken points from play. The second half performance was assured and even an injury to Aodhan Claffey did not disrupt as Caleb McGuinness dropped to defence to allow Carl Mc Donagh take up corner forward duty. Goalpoacher Carl collected breaking ball off Annraoi Whyte and looked like poaching another before being enveloped by a scrambling Cois Fharraige defence. Even in the closing moments as Cois Fharraige pressed hard for a game changing goal John Lalor, Shane Richardson and Paul Wynne made sure it would be hard earned or not at all. Micheal Bohan gave his defence confidence by being secure under any ball dropping to him or being quick to collect any daisycutters. Mágh Cuilinn now await the draw for the next round (Clarinbridge or Kilconieron). Best wishes to all our Minors this weekend in the Football Final - remember back hurling next week!