Moycullen break through quarter final block

Post date: Dec 6, 2011 7:06:00 PM

Experience counts for little as Moycullen end Killimor hopes

October 13, 2011 - 6:00am

Favourites have two men sent off as quarter-final threatens to boil over

Moycullen 2-11

Killimor 0-12

Darren Kelly in Athenry

Killimor’s aspirations of a repeat county final appearance evaporated last Saturday with two goals conceded and the loss of two players as Moycullen secured an intermediate hurling semi-final spot.

Leading 0-7 to 0-6 at half-time, it looked all set for Noel Lyon’s outfit who were clinical with chances during the opening period, but an early Moycullen goal upon the restart turned this tie around and saw the West Galway men advance.

Moycullen dominated the first half but wasted opportunities. However, the early second half goals from Philip Lydon and Niall Mannion along with Killimor red cards for Ronan O’Brien and Micheal Dervan saw them seize the initiative from their more experienced opponents.

The first half was a placed ball contest between Dervan and Eanna Noone with the Killimor stickman the better by the odd point in 11. Robbie Mitchell for Killimor and Moycullen’s Thomas Higgins got the other scores but it looked like Fergal Clancy’s squad has wasted their chance with six wides and three goal scoring opportunities.

After just 21 seconds, Lydon put Higgins in space but Liam Gordon blocked his effort and the Killimor keeper was on hand to deny the same players again nine minutes before the break – this time Lydon the scoring threat. Christopher Hurney was also denied for Moycullen while Killimor raised white flags from all but one scoring chance.

Despite losing by two points to the same opponents in the group stages, Killimor were expected to push on after the restart but Moycullen were again quickest and this time more successful, and 29 seconds had elapsed when Noone’s speculative delivery allowed Lydon space on the edge of the square and his subtle touch helped the ball past Gordon for their goal.

Noone sent over another free but the East Galway side responded positively when Mitchell and Andy Keary registered to leave it 1-7 to 0-9 by the 38th minute. Dervan also threatened a major when his long low ball required keeper Micheal Darcy to be alert two minutes later but this contest started to slip away 60 seconds later.

A Moycullen move towards the town goal involved Conor Bohan and led to Mannion finding the net and when Noone sent over another point on 43 minutes, Moycullen’s lead was five.

With over a quarter hour left, Killimor refused to yield and dictated the next 10 minutes but the dismissal of O’Brien with 15 minutes remaining for a second yellow was always going make matters difficult.

Dervan got the next two scores and added another six minutes from time. But their last chance for redemption arrived on 51 minutes when his free was knocked out by the Moycullen defence but Shane Duane’s rebound was denied by the crossbar.

Noone’s eighth point ensured Moycullen a 2-9 to 0-12 advantage as Killimor’s challenge yielded and Vinnie Faherty and Noone concluded the scoring for their side’s five point success.