U14B Hurling Title for the first time in Club History.

Post date: Jun 5, 2014 11:22:41 AM

U14B Championship 2014

COUNTY FINAL – 24/05/2014

Moycullen 3:02 – Gort 0:02

It was cold and wet May morning in Pearse Stadium but that didn’t bother the Moycullen players and supporters as Moycullen were about to capture the U14B Hurling title for the first time in the Clubs history.

Prior to the main event, Skehana defeated Micheal Breathnach in the U14C final followed by the U14B shield final where Sarsfields beat Rahoon Newcastle.

There was great excitement leading up to the U14B final with little between the South Galway side and the Connemara lads. In the earlier four rounds of the Group stages Moycullen have coasted to impressive victories over Sarsfields, Rahoon-Newcastle & Killimor (received walkover from Tommy Larkin’s). However it was round 5 where Moycullen met their match against a lively Gort side. In that contest Moycullen surrendered a 4point lead at half time to suffering a crushing 2 point defeat in the dying minutes. The players did not need any reminding of that game and were determined to set the record straight.

As Moycullen took to the pitch and heavens opened over Salthill and Captain Evan Kenny selected to play with the slight wind towards the Radisson end. After just 1 minute Moycullen pushed forward and forced the Gort defence to foul on the 20m line under the stand. Alan Carr made no mistake with the tricky angle and struck the sliotar neatly between the posts. Most of the play was in the middle sector over the next period with even exchanges between the sides. On 8min Cian Folan inside the large square reached into the skies to catch a long delivery, he turned and head for goal only to be taken down by the Gort defenders.

Folan stood over the resulting penalty and rattled the Gort net.

As play continued Moycullen began to control the middle sector with the formation of Kenny at No.6, Carr & Tom O’Connor in the centre and Oran McLaughlin at No.11 locking down any Gort attacks. On 12min a wonderful passing movement on the right found the final pass to Niall Fitzgerald who struck wide. Gort responded within seconds but their attempt was also wide of the target. The Moycullen defence was awesome throughout with Glen Pagett, Keith Carter and Aaron Barrett giving flawless displays behind Jamie Cox, Kenny & Robert Previte. On 18min Pearse Stadium erupted as battle for possession in the middle right was brilliantly won by Cox who provided a perfectly timed hand pass to Carr who was in full flight from 50m. Carr on a solo bearing down on goal intended only one thing, side step, side step, strike from 20m, bang..…….. GOAL!

At half time Moycullen lead by 2:01 to 0:00 but with a lot yet to play for. In the second half Sean O’Seoige was moved from the right corner to left wing forward to overcome the Gort No.5 dominance. The introduction of Colm Cunningham into the right corner was certain to cause even more problems for the South Galway team. Minutes after the restart Folan won inside the 20m turned and struck well but the Gort keeper was equal to the shot and cleared his lines.

On 26min a long delivery from O’Connor fell between Cunningham and Folan. Folan took command of the sliotar and found himself inside the large square where he was again brought down. Folan stood over the resulting penalty and made no mistake by bagging his second goal. On 29min a sweeping delivery from the left wing to the right corner found Cunningham who made it look easy by turning and striking between the posts while in full flight. Gort weren’t going away, their No.6 had turned attacker and won a penalty on 30min. Their No.14 picked and struck but O’Connor deflected for a 60m. Within 2min Gort were again on the hunt for a badly needed goal and forced the Moycullen back line to foul for another penalty. Gort changed free takers but his effort sailed over the crossbar.

At this stage Gort were throwing everything they had at Moycullen with their No.6 no operating in attack being the main threat. Moycullen weren’t standing back and under the stand a flying full body and hurl tackle by O’Connor blocking a Gort clearance epitomised the Moycullen hunger. On 35min Cillian Clancy was called on to make a good safe from the Gort No.6 and 3min later Clancy spectacularly dived to his left to keep a clean sheet. Before the end of the game Gort scored a consolation point from a placed ball.

When Conor Quigley blew the final whistle the Moycullen subs and supporters invaded the pitch with great delight with an impressive final score of 3:02 to 0:02. The gallant panel of players joined Captain Evan Kenny as he graciously accepted the County Cup while overlooking the joyous supporters on the pitch. Kenny was also awarded the Man of the Match award for his outstanding performance. After the match the team panel were treated to none other than Supermacs but this time in Salthill. Afterward the grub a convoy of cars travelled back to Pairc Maigh Cuilinn where they were greeted by victorious bonfires at the Barna road and Ballydotia. Since the Feile na nGael competition held over the last weekend in April Moycullen have put in 3 brilliant performances against Carnmore (Round 7), Tommy Larkin’s (Semi Final) & Gort (Final) scoring 9 goals and 14points and only conceding 8points and no goals.

Big thanks to all the players for their commitment and dedication all year. Their ambition and desire for success knows no end and they now look forward to automatic promotion to U15A1 in 2015. A special thanks to the family, friends and supporters which grew and grew throughout the year – this has a great positive influence on all the players and we hope this continues throughout their career.

The Management of Morgan Darcy, Adrian Clancy, Ger Power, Sean Hester & Marcus Carr were faced with the constant challenge of selecting teams all year with great balance throughout the squad and competition for places always a factor.

1.Cillian Clancy 2.Glen Pagett 3.Keith Carter 4.Aaron Barrett 5.Jamie Cox 6.Evan Kenny 7.Robert Previte 8.Alan Carr (1:01 – 1 point from free) 9.Tom O’Connor 10.Cillian Davoren 11.Oran McLaughlin 12.Fionn McDonagh 13.Niall Fitzgerald 14. Cian Folan (2:0 – 2 penalties) 15.Sean O’Seoige 16. Dean Greally 17.Andrew Power (for Glen Pagett) 18.Shane Kyne 19. Cathal Boyce 20.Jack Osborne 21.Owen Hester (for Niall Fitzgerald) 22.Colm Cunningham (for Cillan Davoren) 23.Jack Brennan 24.Sofian Elhemer 25. Shain Sutton (injured)